Subject: [Leica] Formula One Auto Racing
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Tue Jun 21 07:15:19 2005

I've got to ring in here. Marc, you couldn't be more wrong. I
challenge you to spend one night in the camping area of the US Grand
Prix and say the same thing you just did. Let me apologize early for
the derrogatory term I am about to use, but I am from the south and I
have never seen so many rednecks in my life. And these rednecks love
F1 as well as NASCAR. You don't go sleep in the Indy campground
surrounded by other loud fans with your "Earnhardt" 3 and USA flags
flying over your pop-up camper if you think the sport is for "effete
method for auto racing" equated with "Espresso and NPR".  You
especially don't do it when you are parked in between an effite
NPR-listening, espresso drinking, leica-weilding dude on the one side
and a gaggle of Germans on the other.

One main disappointment for the guys out in the camp ground is that
there aren't any American drivers on the track. The test driver for
Red Bull, Scott Speed, received great applause when he went around in
practice. Juan Pablo Montoya and Jacques Villeneuve were both quite
popular since they were in CART.

The guys out there want a hero, but without one they aren't going to
turn their backs on the most powerful cars in the world,  no way - we
love cars too much to do that.

There are plenty of fans of F1 here. Do we have as many as other
countries? Well, perhaps so, depends on the country you are talking
about. However, we have a really big country and that affords us many
different options when it comes to sports - if someone would rather
have the whole view of the track in a race they can go to an oval and
get it - if someone would rather see so-called American cars race,
they can do that. They can even see European sports cars race, cars go
in a straight line, and cars ram into each other. We should all be so
lucky.

Dave