Subject: [Leica] Formula One Auto Racing
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Jun 21 18:42:32 2005

At 10:15 AM 6/21/05 -0400, David Mason wrote:
>I've got to ring in here. Marc, you couldn't be more wrong. I
>challenge you to spend one night in the camping area of the US Grand
>Prix and say the same thing you just did. Let me apologize early for
>the derrogatory term I am about to use, but I am from the south and I
>have never seen so many rednecks in my life. And these rednecks love
>F1 as well as NASCAR. You don't go sleep in the Indy campground
>surrounded by other loud fans with your "Earnhardt" 3 and USA flags
>flying over your pop-up camper if you think the sport is for "effete
>method for auto racing" equated with "Espresso and NPR".

Dave

I apparently did not posit my message clearly.  I was trying to say that
the US Populace equates Formula One with "Espresso and NPR", as they
clearly do.  The average USian hasn't a clue to what Formula One is, and
many of them, for that matter, have only vaguely heard of NASCAR.  Auto
racing is a significant sport in the US but it has a long way to go to
achieve the sort of impact which, say, basketball or football or baseball
have in terms of popular penetration.

My best to your camping companions.  If you need some assistance
understanding them, call me:  I was once admitted as a "Certified
Translator for Hillbilly" in the Franklin County, Virginia, General
District Court, when a back of the hollow type started rumbling forth his
testimony and a rather sharp-tongued judge could not understand him.  I
strode forth and translated, and the Judge will never allow me to forget
that day.  (I have lots of family members with one leg shorter than the
other, and the only NASCAR follower in my kin is my own son, and he is in
Alaska, far from any NASCAR action.  And, yes, he regards Formula One with
grand disdain, stating that it is for "liberal scum".  But, bless his
heart, he also detests that ultimate of abominations, the DH rule in the
American League.)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!