Subject: [Leica] Preparing for the "prom"
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Jun 21 09:05:19 2005

I wonder at this also, Don. In the past the trades often created
apprentice programs for those who wished to enter. At Charleston Naval
Shipyard these were avidly sought-after positions. When I was in the
Navy and stationed at Charleston my wife taught physics and math in
one of these programs.

She LOVED it. Before teaching at CNSY she had been a high school
teacher in Aberdeen, MD. At the yard she found her students were
highly motivated. If there were any behavioral problems one of the
program stewards took care if it instantly - you got one warning and
that was it - gone and replaced by someone who really wanted the job.

There are still good vocational training programs but they now seem to
be happening at the junior college level. The high schools seem
entirely focused on passing the No Child Left Behind criteria and are,
in fact, leaving behind a lot of kids.

In ever-so-educated Davis there is hardly a remnent of the fine
vocational education that once was here with good classes in machining
and auto repair and an excellent farm program. Ironic, that, because
we exist due to the largest land-grant college in the nation with its
huge ag programs being just a mile away from the high school.

I'm actually quite pleased with the vocational education my son is
getting in the Navy, especially in quality control procedures and in
refrigeration - all useful knowledge.

So I'm a big believer in vocational education - as a nation we're not
focused that way. And in a service economy we sure ought to be -
server classes would be great so when you thank someone you don't get
"no problem". Sigh.

Adam