Subject: [Leica] Formula One Auto Racing
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Jun 21 18:42:02 2005

I?m an old SCCA corner worker. Couldn?t afford to race, but
volunteered so I could smell the fumes and rubber and snap a few
frames of the buzzing blur.

I?ve tried to figure this thing out, and so far the best figuring
I?ve come up with is that Michelin instigated a pissing contest with
the part of FIA that wants to go to a single tire manufacturer-namely
Bridgestone. Then again, maybe Michelin was paying us back for
Freedom Fries. ;-)

The warm up lap before pulling to the garage was clearly intended as
a thumb in someone?s eye. If they thought the crowd response was ugly
in Indy, what would it have looked like in Italy or Britain?

Is the US ready for F1? While it may not be the top draw here, this
is a big enough country that you don?t have to rule the landscape to
have a substantial and important and valuable audience. I believe I
heard television commentators say that the US Grand Prix is the
largest spectator draw in the F1 circuit.

Major auto racing has reached a sad state on this continent. NASCAR
is smelling more like pro wrestling every day, CART teams and events
are evaporating, Indy Racing's Tony George power grab created CART
Lite without road courses or real performance, and now this from F1.

All in all, it seems like the main thing any of them are interested
in is milking every possible cent from us. Maybe the only thing left
for us is those outlaw dirt tracks up north and the eighth-mile ovals
down her in redneck central.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies