Subject: [Leica] Perrin Leather Bags from the 1940/50ties
From: mvolo at acpub.duke.edu (Michael Volow)
Date: Tue Jun 28 05:16:53 2005

I still use a small Perrin bag. It holds my M6 vertically (with up to 90
Tele-Elmarit and shade attached) in a snap-in insert in the right-hand end.
Since I work with leather I created another insert for the other end that
holds two other lenses (35/2.0 and 50/2.0 DR). Below this insert is my
21/2.8 and a small flash. A lot of gear for such a small case. In the past I
created alternative snap-in inserts for Nikon gear. Very easy to customize
because it's leather. I also added some elastic loops to the inside of the
top to hold accessories.

However, the leather offers very little shock absorption.

One weak point is the strap (leather with fiber backing that eventually
cracks); and the strap attachments (a single large rivet). I have replaced
both of these.

I know of no modern cases that have the advantage of holding the camera body
vertically, in my mind a very space-efficient position.