Subject: [Leica] new Puts article
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Jun 29 13:58:58 2005
References: <001001c57926$037b5660$6452c33e@symke><65280FBD-D7D0-4458-AEEC-1931718FBA6 D@btinternet.com><9b678e050625054040fb9bc9@mail.gmail.com> <42BD59D7.7000409@arbos.net><42BD6293.4000507@adrenaline.com><13786F32-A90 6-4316-9F77-37E76DE5BB7B@earthlink.net><4cfa589b0506251001a82d9b@mail.gmai l.com><9106DC64-0114-4457-9052-C94A20A8651F@earthlink.net><p06210201bee5ec 472346@10.4.1.193> <4cfa589b05062813165db77889@mail.gmail.com> <006f01c57ce2$27da53c0$3368010a@tci.toledoclinic.com>

At 3:38 PM -0400 6/29/05, Howard L Ritter, Jr wrote:
>I still believe that what I posted before is correct: If you take two photos
>at the same f/ ratio, from the same distance, with different focal length
>lenses and different size sensors (or not, it doesn't matter), and then
>print both pictures scaled and cropped to show the same area and the same
>subject size, the pictures will look identical including the DOF.
>
>The photo taken with the shorter FL lens will have a smaller CoC on the
>sensor, but will have to be enlarged proportionally more to make the subject
>the same size, offsetting the smaller CoC. The DoF with a smaller sensor and
>shorter FL lens will be deeper only if the print is enlarged to the same
>_degree_ (e.g., 15 x the sensor size) not the same image scale (e.g.,
>subject's head 2" high), because the viewer will be looking at detail that
>appears smaller and not see unsharp focus as well.
>
>Same distance + same f/ ratio + same subject size on print = same DoF.
>
>--howard

Unless I'm completely missing something in your response, the simple
answer Howard, is NO.

A 300mm lens at f/8 on an 8x10 camera will produce a print whose DOF
looks nothing like that from a 43mm lens at f/8 on 35mm film,
neglecting completely the resolution and tonal differences, and
neither will resemble a same sized print from a digital Canon SD400
at 7.2mm FL at f/8 with a 1/2.5" sensor. They will all give the same
angle of view, and the same subject size on print when the full
film/sensor is used to make a print with the same diagonal. Objects
that are significantly closer or further than the main subject will
appear sharpest and with the most detail in the print from the SD400,
in spite of, no; because of the small sensor size.

This is because the depth of field is proportional to the circle of
confusion, but inversely proportional to the _square_ of the aperture
ratio. Which therefore, mathematically leads directly to the first
point below.

Here is a link to a fairly well written article on the subject:

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/

The salient points in the article are:

"DOF is inversely proportional to format size"

and the summary points regarding 35mm film and lenses vs. APS-C sized
sensors, specifically the Canon 10D which can form the basis for
these comparisons:

        1.      For an equivalent field of view, the EOS 10D has at
least 1.6x MORE depth of field that a 35mm film camera would have -
when the focus distance is significantly less then the hyperfocal
distance (but the 35mm format need a lens with 1.6x the focal length
to give the same view).
        2.      Using the same lens on a EOS 10D and a 35mm film
body, the 10D image has 1.6x LESS depth of field than the 35mm image
would have (but they would be different images of course since the
field of view would be different)
        3.      If you use the same lens on a EOS 10D and a 35mm film
body and crop the 35mm image to give the same view as the digital
image, the depth of field is IDENTICAL
        4.      If you use the same lens on an EOS 10D and a 35mm
film body, then shoot from different distances so that the view is
the same, the 10D image will have 1.6x MORE DOF then the film image.
        5.      Close to the hyperfocal distance, the EOS 10D has a
much more than 1.6x the DOF of a 35mm film camera. The hyperfocal
distance of the EOS 10D is 1.6x less than that of a 35mm film camera.

And note that the article also has the correct formala for verifying
these things yourself.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design