Subject: [Leica] Speaking of medium format, I've picked up a 1954Rolleicord...
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Jul 4 05:39:13 2005

Without taking anything away from the virtues of the Rollei, I'm
surprised that people on a Leica Users Group wouldn't be waxing poetic
over the virtues of medium format folders, rather than TLRs.  Folders
just seem to be more in tune with the Barnack ethos.  Folders have the
Leica virtue of compactness (certainly by comparison to a TLR) and
many of them are equipped with coupled rangefinders, which also puts
the cameras in the same league as a Leica.

A Bessa II (mine has the Color Heliar lens, but they also come with
the great 4 element Color Skopar and the legendary Apo Lanthar)
collapses to the size of a M body without the lens.  It yields
fantastic 6x9 images, yet you can slide it into a jacket pocket.  My
Super Ikonta B 6x6 has a very nice Tessar lens, that although uncoated
(there are later coated versions) is remarkably resistant to flare.
Also can be carried in a jacket pocket.  For the ultimate in
compactness, I use a Perkeo II.  It lacks a coupled rangefinder, but I
love the Color Skopar lens on this, and the camera can be carried in a
shirt pocket.  This is the medium format equivalent of the Rollei 35.

I'm not trying to start a flame war with the Rollei fans, but my
fondness for rangefinders leads me to prefer engaging with my subject
through a direct finder, rather than through a ground glass.  Added to
the reversal of directions on the focussing screen of a TLR (which I
find distracting), I am too conscious of focussing on the glass,
rather than on the subject.  I just feel more connected to the subject
itself when using a rangefinder or viewfinder.   I'm surprised that
other Leica users are not drawn to medium format folders for the same
reason.

The other great virtue of the folders is that it is important to me to
have a camera with me as often as possible.  I'm not as likely to slip
a TLR into a pocket as I am to carry a folder.  Perhaps I'm just too
worried about  people asking "Is that a TLR in your pocket, or are you
just glad to see me."   When the decisive moment comes, if you don't
have your camera, you don't have your picture.

Finally, medium format folders make superlative travel cameras.  Sure,
a Rolleicord is light, but not particularly copact.  Folders take up
very little space and tend to be light -- this may be relative, but
even the heavy Super Ikonta B is a featherweight compared to some
TLRs, like the Mamiyas or the Kalloflex.  When you are schlepping your
luggage by yourself, every pound saved is a blessing.

Is anyone else a medium format folder maven?

Mark

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Speaking of medium format, I've picked up a 1954Rolleicord...)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Speaking of medium format, I've picked up a 1954Rolleicord...)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Speaking of medium format, Folders)