Subject: [Leica] Speaking of medium format, Folders
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Jul 4 11:26:13 2005

Mark,

Maybe there's a god who watches over the very, very stupid, but I've
had great luck with buying folders on eBay.  I just ask if the shutter
is working properly (does the 1 sec. open and close in the time it
takes to say "One Mississippi") and are there any pinholes in the
bellows (take the camera into a dark room and insert a flashlight into
bellows to see if there are light leaks).  If I get the right answer
from the vendor, I bid on the camera.  Only had a problem once.  Often
lenses are hazy, or need to be colimated, but this is so easy to fix
with most folders that even an idiot like me can do it.   The lenses
usually come apart easily for cleaning (not on the Super Ikontas
though).  For collimating, put the camera on a tripod.  Place Scotch
tape across the film plane in the open back.  Loosen the trim ring on
the lens that shows the distance, and adjust the lens so that when it
is properly focussed on the Scotch tape at infinity, the distance
scale says infinity.  As they say in the infomercials, "Yes, it's just
that easy!"  Your $40 piece of junk is now a pocket Hasselblad.

The bellows on most Voigtlanders, Certos (same lens/shutter combos as
the Weltas, but a less solid feel to the camera). Zeiss, Welta and
Ansco Titans are fairly durable.  If you are nervous about the
condition of the camera, don't get an Agfa, even though a good one can
be a gem.  By the way, the Russians made a copy of the Agfa Super
Isolette called the Iskra (it has a rangefinder) that can be picked up
for a reasonable price.  But again, if you are nervous, just get a
non-rangefinder folder to start with.  The simpler it is, the less
there is to worry about in terms of condition.

By the way, none of the cameras I mention take 620 film, so you don't
have to worry about incompatibility with 120.  Kodak made some great
folders, but I don't mention them because of the 620 problem.  You can
always reroll 120 film on old 620 spools, but it is a pain in the a**
to do so.  Easier to get a 120 camera.

If eBay seems to risky for you, the International Directory of Camera
Collectors has a Swap Day on Wednesdays every two weeks, and it is a
piece of cake to post a WTB ad there.  All cameras sold on IDCC come
with a 10 days, no questions asked return guarantee, so the most you'd
be out is postage and insurance.  This is probably your safest bet to
get your feet wet with a medium format folder.

Mark