Subject: [Leica] kodak DCS Pro SLR/C
From: mccluney at sbcglobal.net (Gene E. McCluney)
Date: Mon Jul 4 12:26:53 2005

>Rei , Camera is a real buggy dog of a slow shooter
>chromatic aberrations , corrupted files  ,  finicky about
>its media  etc etc ...
>
>Was good replacement for a view camera with architectural
>shooting but that was several years back only some times is
>this camera is quicker to use then a 4x5 on location ....
>
>Only thing it had going for it was  wide lens were wide
>.... good software & early on good  tech support from kodak
>, tech support has gone soft recently &  now that it is
>discontinued  sure that not going to improve things ......
>
>Realize that you didn't mention &  that I am not answering
>question exactly but don't even think about buying this
>camera would be nothing but headaches and endless
>frustrations ....
>
>G'day
>
>Charles

I take exception to the comments regarding the Kodak DCS 14mp cameras.

While I cant speak for the Canon mount bodies,  I own and use in my business
a DCS 14n and a DCS SLR/n  (both Nikon mount),  I shoot raw and use the
Adobe CS Raw convertor, and I find that FOR MY NEEDS they perform
flawlessly and I get good repeatable results.

I shoot products in studio environment, and I shoot location work with
good lighting.  I even took one of these cameras with me to Africa last
year and got some stunning scenics from which I have made 20x30 inch
wall prints that are wonderful.

I have not found either camera to be "buggy".  I have not found either
camera to be slow to take photos.  It does take a few seconds for the
camera to come on after you turn it on, but once on, it shoots just
fine.

It is not an "unavailable light" camera.   If you realize this and keep
your light levels up, these cameras produce images comparable to
any, and more resolution than any DSLR with the exception of the
Canon 16mp one.   I have never experienced corrupted files, ever.
I have had a Microdrive fail on me, but that was the microdrive
fault, not the camera.   I didn't lose any files.  It failed after
downloading files to my computer, and wasn't in the camera when
it failed.

Also the Kodak cameras have the widest dynamic range, and allow
you to recover highlight detail that would be clipped with other
cameras.

The Kodak cameras, not having an Anti-aliasing filter, are lens-critical,
and will show defects from inferior lenses.  The better glass you
use, the better the captures will be, therefore considering the
Canon mount model, using Leica R glass with a mount adaptor,
would seem to be a match made in heaven.

Gene McCluney
McCluney Commercial Photography