Subject: [Leica] #210-----UK panthers, lions
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Thu Jul 7 20:00:43 2005

Never happens in TX--maybe we taste bad to them. Perhaps it's all the
bullshit we have in us?

Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:on 7/7/05 4:30 PM, Adam Bridge at
abridge@gmail.com wrote:

> If the "they" you are refering to are what I'd call a "mountain lion"
> or a "puma" then I'd say there are dead joggers around Sacramento and
> in the foothills who would feel differently if they could.
>
> People DO get pounced on and either maimed or killed by big cats out
> here. I think there is an attack on a yearly basis, probably more
> often, as the highly territorial big cats follow water courses down
> from the moutains on either side of the Sacramento Valley and into the
> more urban areas. They eat beavers and other critters, not to mention
> pets and coyotes.
>
> Adam

Simple precautions based a little knowledge reduces the risk considerably,
and in the vast majority of the attacks on humans these precautions were not
taken. Mountain Lions are solitary animals; an injured Mountain Lion
doesn't have any support system to feed and care for it so an injured
Mountain Lion is at much greater risk of death. Anything a human can do
that tells the Mountain Lion that it's risk of injury is increased will
stack the odds in the human's favor: have a friend or a dog with you, and
fight back. The people killed by Mountain Lions in this area almost always
are alone.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com