Subject: [Leica] The great thing about teaching a workshop...
From: hans.pahlen at telia.com (Hans Pahlen)
Date: Mon Jul 11 04:26:01 2005

I looked at the photographs yesterday, and I really liked them. I think the
photographer has a great talent for the documentary style, also a
previsualisation as all of the pics were made in a similar way, with a light
blurry feel that added lots of athmosphere..
I don't think the program in an automated camera can create that same feel
throughout a whole series of pictures. Any camera on auto can be used in
this way, for example an M7 would produce the same pics with similar ISO and
F-stop. It is the photographers choice to use auto to achieve results he/she
wants to capture. If the camera was allowed to decide on full program auto
in this case, autofocus, auto-ISO or auto pop up flash would have destroyed
the photographers creative ambitions.

So I think this young girl really has great talent, I do share BD:s
enthusiasm. The workshop helped her develop as a photographer and maybe also
to discover new talents, that is very rewarding for a teacher.

On LUG, I see pics that I like a lot, but also pics that I find less
interesting. But I like to see all sorts of pics, so please continue to
publish, everyone of you. Even if I don't write so much here, I do look at
all your pics.

Finally, I also need to say this:
Friendly and constructive critique is one thing, but questioning someones
work as a whole really is something else. Personally I would be very sad and
discouraged if my own humble pics were to be questioned in this more or less
brutal manner.
Years ago, I learnt from someone -also here on the LUG- who told us his
grandmother had taught him:
-If you cannot say something nice, don't say anything....

My 0.02$

/Hans