Subject: [Leica] More comments: how do you use your images
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Jul 11 14:16:46 2005

>Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005
>From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
>Subject: [Leica] More comments: how do you use your images

>I am hoping to stimulate a bit more discussion on this topic: why do
>you take the images, what do you do with them, how big do you print,
>how do you print, why do you print etc
>
>Cheers
I like to capture things I see around me, to show others if possible, but
at least so I can view the subject again whenever I want.  I work in most
of the usual photographic categories, except sports.

For my most personal photos, I've learned to take a picture when I get a
certain feeling in my stomach that indicates, "take this". (I always carry
a camera)  These are B&W, usually surreal juxtapositions or subliminal
repeated forms.

I'm years behind in enlarging, but when I get around to it, I print them as
5x7 images on horizontal 8x10 fiber paper so they don't have to be turned
to look at the verticals, as if in a book. Every so often I've got to make
some 8x10 RC prints to keep me going until I can have a serious session.

For personal color, I shoot mostly Kodachrome 64 and just keep accumulating
slides.  Sometimes I'll project them, but mostly I look at them in slide
sleeves with a loupe.

I also do documentation in B&W and some stereo slides of old buildings in
case or before they're torn down, for posterity; and fun portraits in the
syle of Hurrell, et al.  These B&W prints might be up to 16"x20".  This
past winter I made some enlargements of city scenes this size for a
company's wall decor.

*Leica Content*    Some were M3 negatives shot on H&W control film
(remember that?) so they showed great detail and no grain.  Love that
Summicron.

At work, I appreciate the advantages of digital, but for myself, if it's
not on a piece of film, it doesn't seem real.  I figure that when I'm gone,
my collection can always be scanned.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer