Subject: [Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Tue Jul 26 02:39:32 2005

At 02:00 AM 7/26/2005, Don Dory wrote:

>Richard,
>This could be a complex image that requires more than a web jpeg to
>evaluate.
>
>My initial reaction is that the face going totally dark is a good
>thing as it adds to the why? of the image.  I don't have enough
>knowledge of swordplay to say whether her grip is accurate or not, I
>suspect not.

Hi Don, this is part of the last series I posted, "The blade, candles and a
ritual." The series is actually done for LUG print exchange where the theme
is Wind (this is not the picture I picked for that theme). I want to do an
unconventional interpretation of Wind. I was playing with the ideas of
sword (symbolize Wind in both the Tarot and Chinese symbolism), candles,
incense smokes and hair being blown, and may be even the symbolism of
martial arts, chi, etc. We gathered all the elements together and of course
nothing worked the ways I thought it would :-) Candle lights being too
weak, incense smokes could hardly be seen... We played around for a while
nevertheless.

To answer your questions - the face being in the dark is intentional as I
want to give a feeling of mystery, the series (here again is the URL:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3098 ) was done in
the sequence of a ritual. The sword grip is fairly accurate - while my wife
doesn't have katana training per se, she has 11 years+ of martial arts
training, including weapons like Chinese swords and Bo staff.

>As to lighting, I believe that a stronger sense of window light ie a
>greater transition in light to dark from the right would be stronger.

The lighting definitely did not work as well as I have planned. Originally
it was supposed to be candles only but then I will need 30, 40 candles :-)
These are taken at 2AM in the morning so I used a hot light. I played with
flash a bit but didn't like it as much. This is definitely something to
work on more....

>But the more important question, what do you want to do with this and
>does the image convey the plot that you intend?

I think so. Can definitely be improved on many levels. Thanks for your
comments.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee) ([Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai)