Subject: [Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Tue Jul 26 02:52:30 2005

From: "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai

> At 02:00 AM 7/26/2005, Don Dory wrote:
>
> >Richard,
> >This could be a complex image that requires more than a web jpeg to
evaluate.

> >My initial reaction is that the face going totally dark is a good
> >thing as it adds to the why? of the image.  I don't have enough
> >knowledge of swordplay to say whether her grip is accurate or not, I
> >suspect not.
>
> Hi Don, this is part of the last series I posted, "The blade, candles and
> ritual." The series is actually done for LUG print exchange where the
theme
> is Wind (this is not the picture I picked for that theme). I want to do an
> unconventional interpretation of Wind. I was playing with the ideas of
> sword (symbolize Wind in both the Tarot and Chinese symbolism), candles,
> incense smokes and hair being blown, and may be even the symbolism of
> martial arts, chi, etc. We gathered all the elements together and of
course
> nothing worked the ways I thought it would :-) Candle lights being too
> weak, incense smokes could hardly be seen... We played around for a while
> nevertheless.
>
> To answer your questions - the face being in the dark is intentional as I
> want to give a feeling of mystery, the series (here again is the URL:
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3098 ) was done
in
> the sequence of a ritual. The sword grip is fairly accurate - while my
wife
> doesn't have katana training per se, she has 11 years+ of martial arts
> training, including weapons like Chinese swords and Bo staff.
>
> >As to lighting, I believe that a stronger sense of window light ie a
> >greater transition in light to dark from the right would be stronger.
>
> The lighting definitely did not work as well as I have planned. Originally
> it was supposed to be candles only but then I will need 30, 40 candles :-)
> These are taken at 2AM in the morning so I used a hot light. I played with
> flash a bit but didn't like it as much. This is definitely something to
> work on more....
>
> >But the more important question, what do you want to do with this and
> >does the image convey the plot that you intend?
>
> I think so. Can definitely be improved on many levels. Thanks for your
> comments.
>
> >Don
> >don.dory@gmail.com
> >
> >On 7/26/05, Richard <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> wrote:
> > > http://www.dragonsgate.net/photosite/PaW2005/images/29_EPSN2019.jpg
> > >
> > > Comments welcome. Epson R-D1, Ultron 28/1.9 ASA 400 1/30th @F2
---------------------------------

Richard,

I was surprised by your choice from the set that you posted earlier but your
explanation in response to Don reveals considerations that I was unaware of.
I thought that:
<http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5223&sort=8&cat=30
98&page=1>
was a much better shot but I was influenced by the fact that it showed a
fine looking woman to better effect. I say that knowing the woman to be your
wife and as an observation of fact not a sexist remark.

--Graham

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] PAW Week 29, Samurai)