Subject: [Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos
From: gwlists at aol.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Wed Aug 3 10:54:40 2005

My concern is exactly what BD has expressed here, and is illustrated by
Stevens approach.

When we turned the century in 2000 we looked back with pleasure at the
images of 1900 and we could see the changes that have been made. Many of
those images were just street scenes with no particular intrinsic value
AT THE TIME, but they are now our visual heritage and as such have
acquired the value of history.

Photographers (and I am afraid I am sometimes amongst them as, I would
suggest, is just about every digital shooter) are now erasing images
which have no value to them at the time, but which will in 100 years
from now show the mundane that by then will have become interesting but
will be lost for ever. I have folders full of negatives which show the
last 40-odd years, and I have virtually never thrown a negative away
because the good and bad images (as BD says) are mixed on the same film.
But will I want to store thousands and thousands of digital images on
ever-increasing CDs or hard disks and (even more controversially) will
we even be able to access them? Probably not. So there person who said
that the last century will be remembered as the most visually recorded
was probably right.

Gerry

--
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Replies: Reply from schroter at optonline.net (schroter@optonline.net) ([Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos)
Reply from tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton) ([Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos)