Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Aug 9 19:31:48 2005

Tina,
When you are making a chip, sometimes there are flaws in the
circuitry.  Imagine a couple of dead pixels on a chip.  You can design
software to continue whatever is on either side of the dead pixel, or
remapping the information coming off the chip.

One of the reasons that FF chips are so expensive is that you get far
fewer viable chips off a 9" or 12" silicon wafer than from a smaller
chip format.  It is not just size, it is also geometry.  There is more
wasted space on the edges of the circular wafer.

So, if Canon has found a way to reliably work around a certain number
of bad pixels from their 1Ds MkII then they can indeed sell a FF
camera at a much better price than before.

A poor analogy would be the various clock speed chips from Intel.  Not
all the chips will clock at their rated speed, so you sell the slower
chips for less.  If you don't, then you have lost a fairly large
percentage of your production turned into scrap.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com