Subject: [Leica] More equipment than you need?
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Tue Aug 16 09:29:23 2005

Ted,

I don't make those choices in the heat of a picture moment.  I'm an
amateur, rather than a professional. Many of these lenses were just
accumulated with the purchase of old screwmount bodies -- the Simlar
came with a Leotax, the Nikkor with a Nicca, etc.   I got the Summitar
because I couldn't afford a Summicron when I acquired a M3 body, but
liked it so much that I've kept it.  The Jupiter came when I decided
that I needed a faster 50mm, and since I had lots of experience with
the Sonnars on my old Contaxes, I sought out a good Jupiter.  Took me
a few tries before I got a good one.   I tend to use the vintage
lenses more with my vintage equipment and more modern lenses with more
modern equipment.  So I've got a CV 28/3.5 pretty much permanently
mounted on my Minolta CLE and a more modern Summicron pretty much the
standard lens on my M6.  On occasion, I mount vintage lenses on the
modern bodies, according to my mood. For example, if I'm shooting
black and white film in a graveyard, or doing interior portraits at
home by natural light coming in a window (in color), I might opt for
the Summar for the way it renders the image.   If I want a really
compact package, I might even put an Elmar on my M6 -- actually an
Elmar 35/3.5 on a M6 is great.  It just pleases me to experiment with
the different lenses in different situations.  That's the fun of using
vintage equipment -- toys for boys.  Maybe in terms of ultimate
performance, these lenses can't match modern lenses.  But if they were
good enough for Robert Capa, Henri Cartier Bresson, etc, they are good
enough for a much lesser talent like me.

Mark

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] More equipment than you need?)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] More equipment than you need?)
Message from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] More equipment than you need?)