Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 21 07:30:23 2005

This week I got back to using the III and an uncoated Summar.  These
images were shot somewhere around 2.5 to 4.3.  While nowhere up to
modern standards the lens can provide quite acceptable results if you
are willing to up the contrast a bit.

First up, while I was having a pleasant lunch in an Asian noodle
restaurant(funny how low brow in a native country becomes middle to
upper brow in the adopted country) I noticed the light on this
gentleman while he waited.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summar/number52

The straitians you see are interntal reflections inside the lens.

While I had my camera up, I noticed this young lady waiting with a
most interesting demeanor in light of the decor:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summar/laughter

Last, while grocery shopping, I liked the position of this man while
he chatted some mate up.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summar/onthephone

I must say, using the older small frame Barnack was generally a
delight.  With the lens collapsed it fit in a pants pocket and the
alleged difficulties of focusing then framing was not bad.  It forced
a little more thought into the image but you could also do all the
normal Leica tricks of hyperfocal focusing and shooting from the waist
or off hand.  Also, the knob wind is so anachronistic that most people
don't realize that their picture has been taken.

Comments, slings and arrows, free pictures of goth chicks cheerfully
accepted.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Don's PAW)