Subject: [Leica] PS help needed
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 21 10:43:38 2005

Douglas,
First, if you are going to go deep into layers, then upgrade to CS2
which supports 16bit files which does allow smoother color
transitions.

Second, once you have made a selection with the magic wand or the
various lasso options you will need to fine tune the selection.  For
quick and dirty I will turn on the quick mask function and then use a
paint brush to extend the selection into the nooks and crannies.  If
you make a mistake and cover too much you just invert the mask and
paint back.  Next, you feather the selection by 2 to 10 pixels to
blend the transition.

Quick mask is at the bottom of your tool bar, in Windows invert is
Control I, and the feather function is under Select>feather.

Also, bear in mind that if in the adjustment layer you have made too
strong a correction, you can bring the opacity of the layer down to
moderate the selection to your taste.

But I agree that Katrina's books are an excellent place to learn.
Also, make a habit of picking up "Photoshop User" at the newsstand.
Every issue has some pretty cool techniques.

As to fixing the vignetting on the image posted, I would use a
circular/eliptical gradient in an adjustment layer to bring the edges
up to the center.  You would select an adjustment layer,  Then apply a
levels adjustment to bring the edges to where you want them.  Then
select a gradient, circular or elipse, and adjust the size of the
center and the transition percent to blend out the too hot center.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com