Subject: [Leica] OT: good time to pick up an Elite 5400
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Aug 24 18:19:11 2005

All,
I believe that this is marketing hype to move a slow moving scanner.
The original 5400 had a good engine but some of the bits were a little
weak, film holder and software interface.  With that said, it could
deliver wonderful scans.

The new scanner is much improved on all counts.

Getting a world class 35mm scanner for $500 is a steal.

The reference to scanning B&W with diffused light/led whatever is just
wacko.  My ancient Kodak is about a collimated as you can get, it is
brutal if the negative has any flaws.  Yet, I can get wonderful scans
out of it.  Unlike analog, contrast is easily controlled by adjusting
the curve before you scan.  Prescan, adjust levels and curves to keep
detail in your whites and your black(a somewhat flat scan).  Then, in
PS decide what to keep in the whites and the blacks.

0.02

Don
don.dory@gmail.com