Subject: [Leica] Leica 21-35mm
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Sep 2 07:54:14 2005

I'm not an expert on it; but I know that film grain has much more tolerance
concerning the angle of the incoming light, than sensors usually have. In
the centre of the sensor, the light is captured in the ideal 90 degrees
angle, but the more you go to the corners, the more this angle is
increasing, and the quality too (like a kind of softness-vignetting).

The problem occurs with non-retrofocal wide angle lenses more than with
retrofocal lenses. The 4/3 system* for instance, and many other digital
lens manufacturers, are trying to evitate this problem with new retrofocal
lenses. AFAIK, the new Zeiss ZM lenses are built this way, too

The disadvantage about this lenses is that they're less compact than the
non-retrofocal ones - and the small lenses (compared to SLR) have always
been an advantage of rf cameras.

Didier

* See
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/about.html
and click Flash or PDF Version. It is explained how the light angle is
affecting the sensor.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Leica 21-35mm)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Leica 21-35mm)