Subject: [Leica] Getting used to the M6, an image.
From: kd7olf at xmission.com (Gerald Homeyer)
Date: Mon Sep 5 10:40:11 2005

Ted Grant wrote:
<some bits snipped>

> "Reading with a view: "
> But one thing to always keep in mind  ... "your knees are meant to
> bend!" My approach to this scene would've been a shot a long the lines
> as yours, then dropping down for a low angle which would've strengthened
> the effect and subject. And also eliminated some of the outside
> background clutter..

Definitely something to try.  I had plenty of time for this shot rather
than it just being a grab shot, but being 6'2", I think I'm used to
seeing the world a bit higher.  Taking that shot lower though would have
improved symmetry between ceiling and floor though I think.

> "A new camera."
> Again this looks like you saw her with the camera, stood there at your
> full height and made an exposure in a quick re-action to the scene. OK
> no problem as that was your first re-action. Then a lower angle would've
> strengthened and added to separating her somewhat from the background.
> And probably given a greater importance to the camera rather than having
> it almost blend into her shirt being the same colour.

I have to admit on that one, it was a grab shot.

> Finally I'd like to add the guiding rule of my over 50 years as a
> working photojournalist.
>
> "LIGHT - EYES - ACTION!"  The light is always the most important,
> period! After that everything else falls into line to make a good
> picture. Last but not least... Always try to shoot from the shadow side
> where it's possible.
>
> Quickest way to see what I mean about shadow side? Find a book on
> photography under portrait lighting and look for "Rembrandt lighting."
> Or in a library or book store see if they have one of my books,
> "Doctor's Work or Women in Medicine."   Lot's of examples in both.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> ted

Definitely helps, thanks much.

Gerald