Subject: [Leica] Tall ships - sepia toned
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Sep 9 09:37:00 2005

Thanks for the idea Sonny,
It's definitely a fast way to do toning, a lot faster than my method anyway.
I think the problem is that Sutcliffe prints are duotone sepia.
Maybe what I need to do is store  reference colours of what goes for
black,grey or white in Sutcliffe pictures and
get these to work as filters on bw images.

The tones I was trying to get were the ones shown here, I got quite
close but not even a cigarillo:

http://www.whitby-yorkshire.co.uk/sutcliffe/sutcliffe.htm

Strange thing about Sutcliffe is that he's seldom mentioned in the same
breath as other great photographers -unfortunately!
Nearly everyone has seen his pictures (usually in fish restaurants or
bars with a maritime theme) but he's just not up with the "gods" .
Thanks again,
Douglas