Subject: [Leica] Tall ships - sepia toned
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Sep 9 09:50:31 2005

Thanks Aaron, I got 'em bookmarked.
That's what I was trying to get to using the limited functions of
PS-Elements 3.
Those are some VERY nice photos you made.
When I'm rich and famous (probaly be PS-CS 9 or so) I must splash out on
a fully fledged PS
software, I quite often end up running into brick walls with Elements.

Aaron Sandler wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
> I have experimented somewhat with photoshop "toning", and found a
> technique I
> like very much...it allows both pseudo-sepia toning and pseudo-split
> toning
> (which was always too complicated for me in the darkroom) with a great
> deal of
> control.
>
> Some experiments are here:
> http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_13/index.html
> The last photo there, of the wet street in New Orleans, was my most
> successful
> split-tone to date...in my coffee house show earlier this summer I
> sold two
> copies of this one...
>
> Method:
> I start with a monochrome image, convert to RGB, and then pick up with
> Step 3

Yep, did that. Then scanned in a couple of representative Sutcliffe
shots and selected a few typical colours, B W and Grey,
also the tone for sea, canvas and stone houses. stored these as a color
bar image and pick and replace the ones I need.
A long way around but it very nearly works.

>> from this website containing step-by-step insructions:
>
> http://www.computer-darkroom.com./tutorials/tutorial_2_2.htm
>
> Hope that helps,
> Aaron

Certainly does,