Subject: [Leica] Tall ships - sepia toned
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun Sep 11 09:46:16 2005

Douglas Sharp wrote:

> The British photographer Frank Meadow Sutcliffe was born in Leeds (so
> was I)
> He spent a lot of time in Whitby (So do I)
>
> Trying (possibly in vain) to capture something of the atmosphere of his
> pictures I just posted 2 sepia toned Tall Ship pictures.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Ships-and-Boats/Image1_101_edited_2_001
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Ships-and-Boats/Image1_106_edited_2
>
> If any one knows of a good toning software,let me know, I did these with
> replace colour and colours picked from original Sutcliffe prints.
> Douglas

Douglas,

;-) I like edited_2_001, very much. Peculiarly it isn't very sharp on my
screen
(unusual for your pictures) is that the toning or what. Perhaps a bit more
burning in of the upper quarter of the sky, and cropping out of the swan?
But
very FMS.

Must say that when we have discussed toned pictures before, all I have done
is
to replace colour and to try and do my best by eye, but have done a good bit
of
local brightness or contrast enhancement on the original B&W.

If I may I will have a go at a download of yours and see where I get.

As to not being close; we both know - as should everyone else on the list!!
-
how good FMS was at capturing the airs and mists of Whitby and elsewhere.
Unfortunately - or rather fortunately - the Clean Air Acts have changed all
that; see particularly The Water Rats and Belle Isle;  - and Health and
Safety,
Whitby Council, Yorkshire Social Services, Childline and many others would
have
prosecuted FMS to hell had he been trying to shoot the Water Rats in the
middle
of Whitby harbour today.

All the best,

Peter