Subject: [Leica] telescopes??
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon Sep 12 01:55:13 2005

Eric Korenman wrote:

> A colleague of mine knows that I am camera/optics nut.
> His particular passion is telescopes.  He is looking to buy his dream
> telescope.
> Any LUGgers who are also into telescopes out there?
> Any forums I can direct him to?
>
> And I quote my friend:
> "I've been telescope shopping - by weight criterior I'll likely go 10"
> (86 lbs.) vs 12" (126 lbs.). Although an 8" (64lbs.) may suffice- what
> do your photo chat friends think about Meade vs Celestron
> (Schmidt-Cassegrain)?"
>
> thanks,
> Eric

Eric,

in astronomy light gathering power is all. The bigger the mirror, the better
the
light gathering, the better the usability for deep space observation, the
heavier... and buy the correct magification for the telescope; don't try to
buy
too powerful an eyepiece.

He has to decide what he wants to use and then go to one of the many forums
on
the web to check for user experience.

Peter Dzwig