Subject: [Leica] Loading the IIIc
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon Sep 12 03:33:52 2005

David Cochran wrote:

> Hi PS?...
>
> Thanks for the observation but the rewind lever was in the right position.
>
> Now, I have a question for you. What is the lever on the left side of
> the take up knob?
> I'm just lazy...I'll have to check the Leica IIIf manual.
>
> Thanks again
> On Sep 11, 2005, at 9:24 PM, pswango@att.net wrote:
>
>> Don and David wrote:
>>
>> David,
>> If the film is not winding as you describe then the film is not on the
>> sprockets properly.  This means that when you load again, make sure
>> the leader is properly trimmed, when you push the film down, the film
>> will not catch on the sprockets but will wind onto the sprockets.
>>
>> Don
>> don.dory@gmail.com

To load the camera, trim - or don't as you prefer. follow the diagram on the
bottom of the mechanism for how to position the film. Briefly this says that
you
should have the flat ends of both take-up spool and film cannister facing up
as
you look down into the camera body, the film should wind onto the side of
the
take-up spool furthest from you under the metal plate.

The rewind lever should be in posirion "R" BEFORE you re-insert the film and
the
rewind **knob** should be down. Try to do this evenly and don't force it; if
you
experience appreciable resistance you risk tearing the film. It should slip
in
easily. Tap both spools down into position and re-attach the base plate.

Now extend the rewind knob and wind it gently to the left until you feel
resistance. If you don't feel resistance it isn't properly pushed under the
plate on the take-up spool, so take off the plate carefully remove both
spools
and start again.

If you feel the tension then press the rewind knob back in and wind the film
on
using the film advance knob on the right and set the counter. When you wind
the
film the rewind knob will rotate (watch the arrow) if it doesn't then
(sometimes
slips!!) things aren't right. Start again. Again. Don't trust the shutter
speed
dial; that is coupled to the film wind.

It will work...it takes a bit of practice and isn't as fast as loading DX
film
with a motor, but you can get it down to a reasonable art and you won't find
it
too tedious. It's just fiddly, but there is plenty of room for things to go
wrong.

Be patient the camera will definitely reward you if you persist. Good Luck.

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Loading the IIIc)
Message from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Loading the IIIc)