Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request, take 2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 17 21:27:53 2005

> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_13.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_14.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_15.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_16.html
>
> Any opinions on the quality of light from these vs. earlier?  I think I
> prefer the first batch that ends with this one:
>
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_09.html
>
> --
> Eric
> http://canid.com/

A great boom is a boom. You can get the light in the middle of the room
where the light fixture probably is. As your shots still look side lit.
And although light can come from the side in a room obviously if you had a
table lamp I think you're better off with above light when ever possible
practical. I just got another boom from B&H with counterweight a slightly
thicker one which is also a tad longer as a narrow softbox I got turned out
to bow my boom.
And who needs a bowed boom?
To be avoided generally.

That softbox being surprisingly heavy. I use it to light up my backdrop.
>From above. So when I use a harder light on my people I don't get a big
shadow behind them. A big dark shadow. Kind of weights things down.

The booms cost around 120 bucks I think. OK 150.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/