Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request, take 2
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Sep 18 06:14:55 2005

Mark:

> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_13.html

> You're getting a double shadow one with a hard edge indicating your
> flash it hitting them directly. Got to turn it away more.

Thanks!  I knew I didn't like the light in that one, but didn't know
why.

> As your shots still look side lit.  And although light can come from
> the side in a room obviously if you had a table lamp I think you're
> better off with above light when ever possible practical.

There were some that I didn't scan because I could definitely see the
light was *too* far overhead on them.  Raccoon eyes.  Definite white
spots under the eyes.  But that could also be from the flash hitting
directly, as you pointed out.

When I shot from the reflected umbrella, I did keep it low to get
light from the side.  Figured that was closer to window light.  I'll
raise it up near the ceiling and see what happens.

Thanks!

--
Eric
http://canid.com/