Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request, take 2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Sep 18 18:24:55 2005

On 9/18/05 6:32 AM, "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca> typed:

> Eric,
>
> On the occasion I used big strobes I'd put one lamp facing an upper corner
> of the room, then you have light coming from above, ceiling. And off the
> two

>snippet<

Well thanks Ted I'm very "one light" when it comes to shooting on a white
backdrop but in a room or even am event type situation I'd agree with your
two light approach. Shooting events I've had an assistant with a slaved
flash and you cant always wonderfully coordinate where they're going to be
when you do a shot you try to get them behind what you are shooting but just
to have some light coming from behind them lighting up the backs of their
heads for those highlights or halo effect behind them and making sure that
what's back there does not that the tunnel effect. Get dark. ... Is worth
is.
Same could work in a room when you're shooting people to look real enough a
room normally dos not get all its light from one side of the room and then
it would have a dark side of the room which would be visible in many of your
shots. Not many rooms are like that in our minds eye at least. So two lights
can light a room more evenly and more realistically and more excitingly.
You'll get rim light effects.
But if you only had one light I'd get it in the center as much as possible
as if it was that lightbulb in the middle of the ceiling configuration. By
far the most efficient way most rooms get lit in real life. That good old
100 watt frosted GE bulb.  Which we're not reality emulating with a much
larger light source but I say what the heck. Indirect lighting supposedly
the worst thing Frank Lloyd Wright ever invented and worse then that even
are spot lights coming from say track lighting making little tiny spots all
over the place. Each little spot could have the same wattage as that
lightbulb in the center of the ceiling of the room. Although dimmed slightly
maybe but still ending up totally to several times 100wats. And only
lighting up a foot or so each inside the room so the use of dozens.

To the people who go crazy with lights shining all over the place maybe
that's what they imitate. But one guy I knew who all he did is shot room
sets used many many lights and lots of big sheets of foam core the idea
being to get the room lit evenly with no dead spots. His subject was the
room and it's furniture not "people".
And Not the issue so much when you shoot people in a room interestingly.
With the subject being the people not the room. But I love the two light
approach as well as Ted uses. The big studiolike strobe lights tend to all
have built in slaves in them. You walk around the room taking flash readings
and in your brain remember which f stops are where in the room before you
shoot like an f-stop map. Then you shoot. And the two lights would even that
out and keep you using the same stop.
Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon