Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request, take 2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 19 02:59:15 2005

.

> There were some that I didn't scan because I could definitely see the
> light was *too* far overhead on them.  Raccoon eyes.  Definite white
> spots under the eyes.  But that could also be from the flash hitting
> directly, as you pointed out.
>
> When I shot from the reflected umbrella, I did keep it low to get
> light from the side.  Figured that was closer to window light.  I'll
> raise it up near the ceiling and see what happens.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Eric

With Raccoon eyes comes accentuated cheekbones. Dark neck framing the face
if it's a harder (smaller and or closer) light source.

Just tell them that. (her?)

And remember. The sun tends to be up there. In an upward direction for the
most part.
Hence down lighting goes over pretty well as "natural" lightings.
"above is where we expect all the light effects to be coming from.
This makes the man go racing after the women hence more babies and the human
race! And the women go racing after the men too! You'd think!?
It's gotta be those cheekbones. And lovely raccoon eyes (one of my favorite
animals)

Here's what you wanna avoid
http://chicureo.com/ArchivoImagenes/adicionales/garbo[1].jpg
:)

Not quite that's a Cecil Beaten shot. Nobodies beaten Beaten.
Exceptchen: Steichen:
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/steichen/steichen_garbo_full.html
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/steichen/steichen_gloria_swanson_ful
l.html

http://image.pathfinder.com/Life/60th/classic/cv011055.jpg

When in doubt; rip them off.
You can always be consoled with the fact that you'll probably never pull it
off anyway. At least I am.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon