Subject: [Leica] China Photography
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Fri Sep 23 15:12:59 2005

Tina,
I was in China this past spring and had no trouble at all photographing
people, landscapes, etc.  We were traveling in Guizhou province, which lies
in the southeast part of the country.  I was there exclusively to photograph
the Hmong, a minority sometimes also referred to as the "Miao".  Karin and I
were staying in villages in family homes and had no trouble whatsoever.  You
could also hire a guide to tag along with you.  They often try to bend the
rules for clients, and of the sh@4t hits the fan with the authorities, the
guide is on the line, not you.  You can always claim ignorance.  One of the
things I've learned in my many travels.

I can't speak for Bejing, Shanghai and the other large cities, but some
friends have traveled there recently with Canon EOS 1Ds MkII-type cameras
and big lenses.  They didn't report any trouble at all, except that the
cities are boring for photography as compared to the mountain provinces.

In Guizhou, I had my usual kit - a pair of M6s in a Domke satchel with
28/35/50 lenses.  I ditched the photo vest for regular street clothes long
ago.  ALWAYS put "tourist" on your visa applications!  For occupation, I
find that "retired" is the most innocuous response.

Some of my stuff from the China trip to Guizhou:
http://www.spectare.com/gallery/china05/index.htm

--Jim