Subject: [Leica] China Photography
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Sep 23 13:23:23 2005

LUG:

I need your expert advice again.  They called today from the Chinese
embassy about my visa application.  I had put on the application that
I was a photographer - evidently a no, no.  I had to agree to either
write a letter saying that I would not be taking photos
professionally while I am in China or change my profession on the
application to Housewife.  That's a no-brainer.  I changed the
profession to Housewife (my husband is still laughing).

What I want to know is, will I run into problems trying to take
photos with professional-looking equipment?  Do I leave my business
cards at home?  Do I not ask people to sign model releases?  What
kind of trouble can I get into?  I'm definitely planning on taking
photos to sell as stock but should I try to keep a low profile?  No
photo vest?  No camera bags? I had asked the family that we are
renting an apartment from to make arrangements for me to stay with a
family in the country for a few nights to take photographs, since
that is what I do in most countries.  They said that would not be a
problem.  Will it?

Thanks in advance!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP