Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellow LUGger
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Thu Sep 29 14:05:30 2005

Richard S. Taylor wrote:
> Michiel - Thanks for letting me know.   What ever its type, you have one
> beautiful boat.  It looks like its well adapted to your sailing
> conditions.  I'm with the apparent ease with which you can raise and
> lower the mast.  Are the dagger boards as easy to deal with as well?
>
> As a long-time sailor with an appreciation of traditional boats. I'm
> jealous.

Hi Richard,

Actually it's not my boat. It belongs to a foundation. I can lend it as
I like. The foundation owns another 10 smaller variations of the same
type which we use for sailing lessons.
At night we put them in a boathouse for protecting against the weather.
That's the main reason why we can lower the mast so easily. Of course we
also have loads of bridges in Holland and if you don't want to wait it
is also very convenient.
The dagger boards( I didn't know that is the proper English name) are
also easy to use because you only use the one at the side were the sail
is and therefore have to switch very often. We use the dagger boards
instead of a keel so the boat can sail in the very undeep water which is
typical for Friesland.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellow LUGger)