Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW 39 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (dlridings@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 3 04:12:39 2005

Many thanks to all! I'm sincerely flattered. It was breaking the rules
by being a kid shot.

The contrast was too much. This is the first time I've run Xtol
against HP5+ in years and I remember, from way back, that the times
recommended by Ilford and Kodak are way too long for my habits (about
two minutes too long). That botched up the contrast. In addition to
that, I was a little afraid to go with 1:3 so I went with 1:1. I'll
stick to 1:2 or 1:3 in the future (or D76, which handles contast with
this film a little easier, for me). But 1:3 Xtol should do the trick.

I'll never be able to use Acros or a slower film. It might work for
one shot, but I'd miss a lot more than I'd save. I have 400 films and
their exposures more or less at my finger tops. Acros is tempting
though. I've heard so many nice things about it. It's just that we're
headed back towards a Neopan 1600 kind of season (days are getting
shorter).

But for me, the most important thing was the situation. Most of us are
middle-aged. Some of you have seen your children go through this,
becoming adults, others still have it in front of them. The best age
for a child is the age they are at. Continual reminders that there are
so many other things less important than them.

Best,
Daniel

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: PAW 39 dlridings)