Subject: Composition 101 [was Re: [Leica] Nobska Light]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Oct 6 09:16:57 2005

Not to beat this photo into the ground, but Adam's comment about the
Nobska Light photo being a "formal" image triggered something in the
back of my mind.  Also, after B.D.'s comment earlier yesterday, I was
mystified as to why he choose one particular crop and I chose another.

Here are the two:

B.D.'s crop (at least I think this is what you meant, B.D.):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/SAILING/03_9_0071_bd_crop

My crop (Actually I cropped this is even tighter than the the image I
first posted in order to emphasize my  point):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/SAILING/03_9_0071_rst_crop

After staring at the two of them side-by-side for a while I realized
that in B.D.'s crop, my eyes tended to follow a zigzag path along
fence to the lighthouse.  In mine, my eye motion was almost all
vertical, up along the fence posts to the tall structure.  In B.D.'s
there was, figuratively speaking, a path open for the viewer to
approach the lighthouse around the fence post to the right, in mine
there was none.  The fence became a barrier.  B.D.'s says, "Come in,"
mine says, "Don't."  There is more motion in B.D's, more stillness in
mine.

Not sure just why I chose the tighter crop.  It was not made with
much thought beforehand.   It just seemed more appropriate to the
photo in question, and possibly, to the site as well.  (There were
lots of fences and a many No Admittance signs around.)

It's been an interesting discussion.  Thanks.

>Thanks for your response and your alternates, Richard.
>
>In my experience a formal image - like the lighthouse - is about
>shapes and textures and light and dark and stillness. People, almost
>always, bring motion and focus - our pattern recognition engines want
>to SEE them and know what they're doing.
>
>Obviously, as in nude fine-art photography, all of those things can be
>a part of the composition. But nudes seldom have faces and seldom are
>"in action" although I can think of exceptions to both of these.
>
>Of course you framed your image with those folks in mind, but I like
>both your suggestion and B. D.'s as well.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Adam

(snip)
--