Subject: [Leica] Inkjet Print Life BIG DEAL!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Oct 21 07:57:07 2005

Wade Heninger offered in answer to Jim Christie comment:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Inkjet Print Life

>I went to the "Where are we with digital printing" seminar at PhotoPlus
> yesterday.  A bunch of photogs and the Whilhem guy talked specifically
>  >about this.

> It was depressing beyond belief.  For several reasons:
>
> 1. manufacturers have not standards to really measure print
> permanence and no way to compare against each other.
>
> 2. manufacturers are just making crap up and using all manner of
>  >marketing magic to make people believe that inks/papers will last when
>  >they just wont (especially cheapo third party brands like Staples etc)
>  >Some just lie, some twist and manipulate methodology to get numbers
> >they
> like.
>
> 3. When talking about BW the gobbldygook you have to go thru is still
> convoluted and annoying, making good old fiber prints seem like the >
> road out.  Rip, ink, obscure settings, on and don't for get this and this
> and this.  Ugh.<<<<

Hi Wade,
My "keep it simple" philosophy about digital inkjet printing is when people
are concerned how long they'll last is quite practical. "What me worry?"

Certainly when you've got the print on disc and or discs, this keeps the
print available basically forever in it's original form! Besides how many
folks on list and elsewhere have shot extremely significant photographs they
need be concerned they'll last as a print for a hundred years? Certainly
long after the photg has died and merely dust in a box deep in the ground?
Not likely many of us.

People have to stop comparing wet print survivability to inkjet value
despite what manufactures sell us as truth about the longevity of inkjet
prints. The two are different products accept it and get on with shooting
new and more significant photographs while printing them as beautiful as
possible!

It's not likely inkjet prints will ever meet the standards of the silver
print. Yep some day it'll happen. Today? Hell it's not worth all the hand
wringing and worry! Red: "All manufacturer's lie to sell products!"

Besides once the image is saved to disc anyone a hundred years away can drop
the disc in a computer run off 5000 prints and they'll all look the same! So
like I say.... "who cares how long the prints last" as long as it's
sufficient time to show friends and family and hang on the wall for a few
years. If it fades? Hell just knock off another and it'll be brand new to
start all over again for another few years! ;-)

I see much of this hand wringing over digital and what it will do and wont
do and many other digital oriented things as a near waste  of time! As this
whole digital thing in whatever product one is talking about is evolving
beyond our control, people should just say, "screw this,stop carrying on
about what if and why not." Besides we as individuals aren't going to change
the world unless everyone of us stops buying the improved version of
whatever.  Trust me that "aint goin' to happen!"

Best bet? "Get on with shooting and printing with whatever we have! And get
on with enjoying the life of picture taking!" If a new and better product
comes.... they will and do.... get it and move up. But don't wring hands
it's not worth the time.

It's like comparing pixels and pork chops, there's good, bad and ugly, both
can be OK. :-) But if one nit picks about every little thing as the products
are evolving faster than we can spit, then we've carried on for absolutely
no reason at all. Well OK, I suppose some folks need vent their
frustrations. But in that vain it's usually a waste of time anyway that
could be better spent shooting our favourite subjects! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Inkjet Print Life BIG DEAL!)
Reply from lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger) ([Leica] Inkjet Print Life BIG DEAL!)