Subject: [Leica] New Apple software, Aperture, now computers long and OT
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Oct 22 03:29:03 2005

Sadly Nathan what you say is quite true for many.
I started writing software in the late sixties before PCs were
available. I well remember the first IBM PC we got at work - Nigel
Mansell won it for getting pole position at the South African GP - we
would never have been able to afford to buy it. Up to then we had a
Hewlett Packard HP85, a proprietry all in one computer, and an Analog
Devices Macsym II which ran the wind tunnel. I wrote the software for
both, nobody else in the company used a computer.
The Macsym was a simple machine but it had a 16 slot card bus in the
back that allowed connection to analogue and digital inputs and
outputs. I used it to control the wind tunnel and to measure and
analyse the results. I had also written some software to use it to
digitise profiles in reverse from a flat bed XY plotter. It was
effective but clunky, tiny green on black text only display and only
a Scotch DC100 tape drive for storage of files sequentially - very
easy to lose data.
Analog Devices had announced a multi card for the PC which, whilst
not as versatile as the Macsym, had enough inputs and outputs for my
needs. I rewrote the software so it would run on the PC, not
difficult as it was an enhanced BASIC for both so few changes were
necessary. I thought it was worthwhile for the bigger screen,
graphics and floppy capability. It turned out to be neither reliable
nor fast enough to use, about 50 times slower than the Macsym. I
can't remember what we ended up doing with it now - not using it for
engineering anyway.

This was my first experience of the PC world which has continued to
disappoint me ever since. We use PCs at work and their (deliberate?)
inability to be compatible is annoying. I have a Mac at home and can
read any file from a PC I have tried so far - not so in reverse.
We are indeed in a situation where we are largely stuck with PCs.
This is not because they are good - they aren't particularly - but
because they are dominant and have managed to engineer (the best bit
of engineering they have done) a near monopoly. For most people PC is
now synonymous with computer. Most are unaware of the alternatives.
The main thing Microsoft have brought to computing is the lowering of
peoples expectations of what computer software can do.
Frank

Replies: Reply from paul at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] New Apple software, Aperture, now computers long and OT)
Reply from lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger) ([Leica] New Apple software, Aperture, now computers long and OT)
Message from paul at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] New Apple software, Aperture)