Subject: [Leica] RE: Inkjet Print Longevity
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sat Oct 22 06:43:59 2005

Jim Christie wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this subject. You've helped
> form and
> solidify my opinion and advice that I am going to give to my
> friend. That
> is, the top manufactures, e.g. Epson, HP and Canon all have high
> quality
> printing equipment that basically do a good job for most amateur and
> advanced amateur photographers as long as you follow mfg
> instructions and
> use quality papers and inks recommended by the mfg. Using lesser
> quality
> will be a "crap shoot" and most likely will not have the same
> quality or
> life. Also, many professionals use the same equipment and high quality
> papers and inks, but probably use a much more refined process.

A few points:

There are vast differences in inkjet print (as well as C41 print for
that matter) longevity between different "major" vendors.

Epson *pigment* as opposed to dye based inks (i.e. 2200, 2400 ...)
have vastly better longevity than dye based inks.

For B/W printing, pure carbon based inks printed on 100% rag paper
(i.e. no optical brighteners) offer the most archival printing
techniques ... indeed should last longer than traditional silver/
gelatin prints.

(I use both Epson pigment inks as well as the MIS "EZW" inks (these
are pure carbon and have the slightly warm color of pure carbon (i.e
graphite), so you don't need to use a "major vendor" if you research
this carefully).

You still need to protect against both UV light and atmospheric
pollutants.

I mount my prints using "Alphamat" which contains well tested
substances that actually absorb pollutants.

It is also recommended to coat the print with a barrier (e.g.
PremierArt). These techniques have all been very well tested by
(professional) conservationists).

And use either UV absorbing glass or UV absorbing plexiglas for the
final framing.

> As Ted suggested, we can always replace the print if need be, so
> just get
> out there and enjoy your photography.

Actually not. The longevity of CD/DVD is not terribly great, neither
is there any guarantee that in 50 years the new generation of
computers will be able to read the old DVD formats or old file
formats. These things have already tended to change rather rapidly as
computers are swapped out every couple of years or so. I personally
have stacks of old tape drives that I have a very hard time finding
hardware which can read them.

Jonathan