Subject: [Leica] comment on camera reviews in general
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Nov 10 19:20:57 2005

"noise"

Although I'm under the impression that noise problems are routinely a part
of many a workflo dealt with with one of at least two choices of software
which really does the job like magic. I've not felt like I needed it yet but
it seems like it's what everyone's got so maybe it's inevitable. I can shoot
with great unceremoniousness at ASA 1600 with my D100 and I think it looks
great. As a 13x19. I shoot at that sometimes in quite bright circumstances.
But I could play around with the grain software it with my Digilux 1 set at
400 and see if I can come out with a better underlying matrix. Although that
grainy look I've really not got a major modern problem with either. I kind
of like it. Grain in the shadows instead of the highlights hey what's the
big deal? Grain is the brushstroke of photography. I mean pixels. Pixels
which look like grain or which look like something visually pleasing instead
of unpleasing.
Pixels are the brushstroke of grain? Maybe not.
The pixels Are the brushstroke.
The media IS the message.
If I didn't like it I'd switch back to doing much more film.
Hell I'm staring at pixels right now.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon