Subject: [Leica] I'm Back!
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Nov 13 13:18:09 2005

At 03:54 PM 11/13/2005, you wrote:
>Was the language barrier a big problem? Did you have someone with you,
>who could interpret for you? Was it more of a problem in the
>countryside?
>How about the cities?
>

>feli

Hi, Feli -  You'll have a great time!  We had a young couple who took
us around in Beijing for the first week, but after that we were on
our own.  We didn't try to drive, but took trains, buses, subways,
taxis, and planes with no problems.  I had the Lonely Planet guide to
Mandarin Chinese and the Rough Guide China guidebook has all of the
place names for hotels, restaurants, and towns written out in Chinese
characters.  We could just point to them for a taxi driver.  Hotel
employees were helpful for writing out names of other places we
wanted to go.  In restaurants, we just found something that somebody
else was eating that looked good and pointed to it.  Some restaurants
had picture menus.  Almost nobody had English menus and there were
very few signs in English.  One reason we didn't try renting a car
and driving is that all of the caution, detour, and many place name
signs on the highways were only in Chinese characters.  We learned to
say Hello (nee how) and Thank you (xia xia) and everybody seemed very
appreciative when we'd try to speak to them in Chinese.  Parents were
very proud when their children could speak a little English and they
always wanted the children to practice speaking to us.  We met no
other foreigners traveling on their own, but there were plenty of big
tour groups - usually all wearing one color baseball cap and
following the guide with an umbrella or flag.  I'd rather be
independent and get lost!  We particularly liked the old sections and
Muslim quarters in the big cities.  As the guidebook said "It's easy
to get lost, but that's not always a bad thing!"  All of the hotels
give out business cards with the name of the hotel in Chinese so if
you get lost you just find a taxi and show the driver the business
card.  Taxis cost about $1.50 to go anywhere in the big cities.

A month was not long enough, but we do plan to go back someday.  Have
a great trip!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] I'm Back!)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] I'm Back!)
Message from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] I'm Back!)