Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Nov 17 13:21:46 2005

On 11/15/05 3:30 AM, "Rick Dykstra" <rdcb37@dodo.com.au> typed:

> Every now and then the Nocti catches something that makes me think it
> was worth it.
>
> It was dark enough in the bowling alley at the kids' party. Then they
> turned the lights down and put on the swirly coloured mirror ball
> thingy.
>
> My daughter was about ready for the party food I think.
>
> Leica MP, Noctilux, f1, 1/15th, Velvia 100F.
>
> http://members.dodo.com.au/rdcb37/bowling.jpg

I like the shot a lot!

Some missed focus shots I've got in my stack of prints I show people.
I try not to be such a hard ass and know that a shot can work without the
focus nabbed.
Your bowling balls one row towards us are a bit sharper than the model if
you notice so your focus so you were racked out a tad too much. Not the end
of the world in this case.
But it got me thinking about dark indoor shooting with 100 speed film.
And the odd thought that a lens like this could somehow be designed
optimally to work with "fast" film thicker emulsion. Probably not but
there's an off chance. Having 100 film in a Noctilux is not a weird thing as
if you want to do my shooting during the day wide open its not going to
happen with 400. So I put 100 in mine. (right behind the aperture blades). I
figure just as long as I feel a little bit bad about it its ok.
This is a soft shot. Nothing seems go be sharp although those two bowling
balls if you obsess on them are as I say a tad sharper. No ones going to
notice that except photographers obsessed with nabbing their focus.
Not only is everything out of focus but there is camera movement and
possibly subject movement to add flavor. Eye of newt. Makes a perfect
combination. I'm a low saturation guy but I like the high saturation on this
shot.
I spend time on my large light table with most films and then go outside and
it's like you're reading a book about thunderstorms and you go outside and
it's a sunny day and you're amazed the sun is out. Real life is not the
same. The sky dos not look like neon.
So I use Astia and still Kodachrome.
Nowadays color saturation wise it doesn't matter what film you use anyway
because that's tweaked buy yourself anyway command U in Photoshop.
So I don't sweat the sat.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon