Subject: [Leica] Re: [LRflex] Digital Leica "M"
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Tue Dec 6 19:09:55 2005

Ah, the joys of minimization.  Back when I was taking a course in
celestial navigation I wrote a sight reduction program for my HP-11C
that took me literally a month to make fit its non-expandable memory.

It was, of course, made instantly obsolete when the first dedicated
navigational calculators appeared about a month later.

But, I made it fit, yes I did!  :-)

>I have an HP-67 as well with a selection of the little mag-cards for
>holding programs.
>
>It nearly cost me my marriage. I'd left the Navy and was getting at EE
>at UC Davis and was sitting at home writing a program to solve some
>function or other and, as was the geekiness of the time, trying to get
>it down to the bare minimum of instructions (memory was very limited).
>So I was working and working in my chair, manual open, debugging and
>stepping through the program and finally my wife said "Oh can't you
>get that finished? It's time for Louisa's bath!" "Oh," I said, "It
>works just fine, I'm trying to  make it as compact as possible." The
>nuclear detonation could be heard all over the block and I took Louisa
>to her bath, story and bed.
>
>I'm lucky I had a calculator when I returned to my chair! And she
>NEVER understood that desire to make programs small and optimum. Of
>course it's totally wasted in these days. Ah for the joys of PDP-11
>assembler!

(snip)
--
Regards,