Subject: [Leica] monochrome madness
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Dec 9 20:30:06 2005

Walt Johnson showed:

Hi Walt,
I don't think I'd call it monochrome madness, simply because some of the
most powerful photographs in the world have been shot in B&W.  For example,
Harry Reasoner once said something close to this...
" There is nothing like a great big black and white photograph that
television can never do!"

And I know without question from comments by many photographers and medical
professionals my medical books would never have carried the strong message
they do had they been shot in colour.

Your photographs are extremely interesting, I prefer the second as there
isn't any eye contact with the camera and it has a feeling of complete
naturalness. This doesn't mean the little girl and cross aren't natural,
it's her eye line I feel takes the impact away that would've been there if
she were relating to the cross or something else.

It very much looks like the photographer said, "Put your hand on the cross
and look at me." I'm not saying that's what you did, I'm saying that's the
visual message I get from it.

The second is a plain good old fashion in your face well taken feeling
photograph!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road