Subject: [Leica] OT or not: dilemma
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Sat Dec 17 18:30:02 2005

Philippe Orlent wrote:
> Seeing f.i. Daniel's square Rollei shots tempted me to acquire a Mamiya
> C330 + 80mm.
> I went in the woods with it last weekend to try it out, and then decided
> to buy a new Paterson tank + film development chemicals to revive what
> seemed so natural to me some 10 years ago.
> So yesterday I struggled to get the film (TMax 100) in the spool (lost
> that handiness), and then had a great time playing low techie in the
> kitchen with temp, dilutions etc.
> Today I scanned a reasonable neg on my Epson flatbed (an old 1660
> photo), discovered that Newton rings haven't disappeared yet, and
> emulated the 'printing' process on my trusted PS CS.
> The result leaves me somewhat 'I don't know'-ish:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/b9ymz
>
> But there was one thing I noticed: doing it this way sure makes me think
> more when I take a photograph. A lot of time is needed afterwards, so
> it's better to know in front that all that work won't be in vain.
> I haven't decided yet if that will improve my photography (full analog
> process needing thinking time vs digital offering more choice thus
> leading to a higher probability of acceptable shots), so I'm interested
> to know how you all feel about this.

Hi Phillipe,

As you know I embraced analog printing since 6 months again because I
think the process is more important than the end result.
I still love the magic of the picture coming up in the developer as much
as I did when I was 14 years old.
I now have again a darkroom were I can print from 35mm to 4x5 inch.
You're more than welcome to enlarge your negatives and I guess you will
be surprised by the quality it gives.
As you know B&W has a learning curve and with every film you will get
better results.
After our last BLUG gathering were I discussed my struggle with Neopan
1600 with Erwin Puts. I now have very nice negatives when I shoot at 1000.
it just takes some time to get the best out of B&W MF, or any other B&W.
I also had a C330 and I know this camera is more than capable.

So, if you want to enlarge in a real darkroom just shout and we'l do it.

Cheers

Micheil Fokkema