Subject: [Leica] OT or not: dilemma
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Dec 17 23:19:41 2005

Philippe,

First of all, the picture is nice. Secondly, regarding your decision
whether to abandon analogue in favour of a 5D or D200 -- make it based
on what is right for you and that's that. I have certainly been pleased
with my results since moving to digital, although my camera bag is a bit
heavier than before. I do not believe that digital has fundamentally
altered the way I shoot, except that it enables me to take more chances
on marginal images, knowing that the marginal cost of each image is zero
and I can always delete it later (which I do in many cases).

FWIW, many photographers I know do use a combination of digital SLRs and
medium format film cameras. Especially nowadays, with the fall in prices
of MF gear, it is quite an inexpensive option to try out.

Finally, I do not agree that lenses are becoming less important. I can
clearly see the difference on the screen between an inferior lens a good
one, and while some things can be fixed in PS, you cannot easily fix
things like distortion, colour fringing or chromatic aberration. In
fact, I can make the opposite argument: with digital and PS, I can look
at each image at 100%, which corresponds to a print size that is way
bigger than anything I have ever printed.

Nathan