Subject: [Leica] OT or not: dilemma
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Dec 17 03:50:12 2005

Seeing f.i. Daniel's square Rollei shots tempted me to acquire a
Mamiya C330 + 80mm.
I went in the woods with it last weekend to try it out, and then
decided to buy a new Paterson tank + film development chemicals to
revive what seemed so natural to me some 10 years ago.
So yesterday I struggled to get the film (TMax 100) in the spool
(lost that handiness), and then had a great time playing low techie
in the kitchen with temp, dilutions etc.
Today I scanned a reasonable neg on my Epson flatbed (an old 1660
photo), discovered that Newton rings haven't disappeared yet, and
emulated the 'printing' process on my trusted PS CS.
The result leaves me somewhat 'I don't know'-ish:

http://tinyurl.com/b9ymz

But there was one thing I noticed: doing it this way sure makes me
think more when I take a photograph. A lot of time is needed
afterwards, so it's better to know in front that all that work won't
be in vain.
I haven't decided yet if that will improve my photography (full
analog process needing thinking time vs digital offering more choice
thus leading to a higher probability of acceptable shots), so I'm
interested to know how you all feel about this.

I guess it all comes down to the choice between a certain analog
nostalgy and the certainty of digital quality and user friendliness.
Easier put: I'm struggling with the decision to abandon analog and
going 5D or D200. Somehow it doesn't feel right...

So what are your thoughts about that (knowing that lens and body are
becoming less important -where does that leave Leica?-, and software
more and more)?

Replies: Reply from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] OT or not: dilemma)
Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: OT or not: dilemma)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] OT or not: dilemma)