Subject: [Leica] OT or not: dilemma
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Dec 18 08:30:09 2005

Bruce,
PMFJI but the problem mounting M lenses on SLR bodies is
insurmountable. Since the M has no mirror the lenses can, and are,
designed with less compromise and the rearmost elements are nearer to
the film than would be possible in a reflex camera. The lens mount to
film plane distance on the M (and any other viewfinder or rangefinder
system camera) is much less than any reflex camera. In order for a M
lens to be fitted to an EOS, or other reflex camera and achieve
infinity focus it would have to mount inside the camera and the
mirror would be in the way. This rules out any M or screw mount lens
of less than 90mm focal length (or 65mm for the viso only lens) If
you want to use an old visoflex mounting telephoto or macro lens on
an EOS there is an adapter available to mount these on a R camera
which could be used in conjunction with the readily available EOS to
R adapter. I don't see why one would do this unless for a bit of
anachronistic fun, as the results would be unlikely to be all that
good. Modern lenses match or beat the older viso mount lenses.
Frank

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] OT or not: dilemma)
Message from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] OT or not: dilemma)
Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] OT or not: dilemma)