Subject: [Leica] Update on Hasselblad and Agfa
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Dec 26 04:54:27 2005

October 2004 (see my paraphrase of the article posted earlier). And
that was 70 over and above the 165 that had been previously reduced
coconuts.

Both Hasselblad and Imacon have the same owners, a Hong Kong based
holding company.

In the early 90'ies Hasselblad had a far advanced program for digital
products. This is when they were still owned by "Hasselblad" (ok, he
was dead, but it was still the original management, probably owned by
the foundation).

Then the Swiss came in and bought the camera company. They said:
There's no way professional photographers are ever going to use
digital when they have this high quality medium format system to
choose from.

The new owners (the Swiss owners) took the decision to scrap all R&D
into digital.

So it really isn't managements fault Hasselblad ended up here.
Management had a far advanced program. The hungry capitalists (short
sighted) are the ones without vision.

Then they sold it off to the Hong Kong holding company. That company
is doing hard work to keep Hasselblad alive. Since they also own
Imacon, the odds are not all that bad.

The alternative is to just shut the place down. There's not enough
medium format moving on the global market to support a modern company
with a few dozen employees.

Daniel