Subject: [Leica] new years eve
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jan 5 15:59:19 2006

Philippe Orlent showed:
>>Subject: [Leica] new years eve

> First time I used TMX 3200 and developed it in TMX developer myself.
> I'm not sure if I like the grain.
> > A friend playing (digital) deejay on New Years Eve at a home party:
> http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/Jean.jpg<<<

Hi Philippe,
I never related to any grain, generally if you're using a 3200 film under
this lighting condition you're going to get grain, various levels depending
on your ability as a film developer.

I'm far more interested in the photograph content and visual effect as a
competent photograph because that's far more important than what the grain
looks like.

This is a very effective available light photograph, well executed given the
low lighting conditions. Don't go all techie on us now with a fine picture
posted and getting itchy feet about grain. Look at it this way, if you are
motivated by a scene, certainly such as this, don't think about anything
other than, "how can I get it on film or sensor?" That's it. NADA! Nothing
else.

Grain? Hell don't even think about it, the picture capture is the most
important and how you do that is the only thing you should have on your
mind.  WHY?

Because if you get it and you don't like it, you can dump it later, piece of
cake.  However, if you are motivated and don't shoot it you'll be left
wondering how it would've looked. Do you want to be haunted with thoughts
like that for the rest of your days?;-)

Trust me I have more haunting visual moments I dismissed too quickly for any
number of stupid reasons that should've been on film. If I had them, then I
could've done whatever I wanted later.

If you don't put it on film / sensor first and edit later, you can't go back
and do it!! Trust me this is a very meaningful lesson. It's like, "Ghosts of
pictures seen, but never exposed!" ;-) They'll become your worst case visual
nightmares of the past. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road